Welcome, Guest
Email: Password: Remember me

My .02 after going to our first midnights this yea
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: My .02 after going to our first midnights this yea

My .02 after going to our first midnights this yea 1 year, 11 months ago #1047

Last weekend the wife and daughter went out with me and for the most part we had a good time, mostly because the two girls kept each other entertained during the lulls of the racing.

On the way home my wife kept going on and on about how it used to be, with the fast cars running. I've seen similar posts about the "old guys" and such and how it isn't that way now. I have to admit, there is only so many street bikes and semi-stock pickups one can watch (not to mention the volvo wagon...) before being bored.

It was cool to see the nitroused 69 camaro, the nova with the blower, the yellow early 2nd gen camaro, even the non-descript malibu that gave that camaro a run for its money. Those were fun to watch. The two fastest trucks were as well, the black s10 blazer and the light blue s10 pickup were solid runners. The only reason we stayed till closing was because we thought the 69 camaro and the nova were gonna run each other for fastest car honors.

But those were the exceptions. Not sure what it would take to get better. Does TRP allow money races? Not sure of the legalities, but that would generate a lot buzz. And what about negotiating starts, like car lengths? Spectators, especially those not familiar with drag racing, would find it cool to see a car get a couple lengths and get run down rather than get a head start at the line ala dial in bracket style. Sure technically they are about the same, but its more fun to watch them start off the non-bracket way. There is even on video where some guy in a caddy (I think) got a half track head start. It was fun to watch. Oh, he lost too.

Look at some vids on youtube of the chicago and detroit grudge races with guys in the 8-9 second range. I'm not saying have the negotiations at the starting line like they sometimes to, but it would sure be fun to watch them run knowing something was on the line. Or even for the kids out there, who want a $50 race with someone. A neutral 3rd party would help with that. Perhaps a simple rule that if you take the starting line, signal you are good to go, then whoever takes the light takes the cash, and you must sign a waiver absolving the track of any responsibility. Maybe have some promotion where racers call each other out on youtube and facebook, generating the buzz.

As it is, it looks like a TNT night without the clock on.

Re: My .02 after going to our first midnights this yea 1 year, 11 months ago #1048

the midnight as the was in past will never be that away again no matter what..period..the can line up on the fence, no clocks..pair everyone up etc..the days of truly run what you bring is over...now its run what you brung only after you pay 20.00(which is cheap) and pass NHRA tech, which means a helmet for a 13 sec car..etc..you hear its for the street crowd, i seen where the staging line guy is asking people what they run so he can pair you up with some one..wtf ever..im not telling anyone what i run ..thats why no lights are on..DUH ..its kinda similar to whats killing our country..to many regulations..but i still like to go, i like to laugh at the grandma cars and Honda staging with the rear tires..etc..still pretty good entertainment for 20.00 ..less if you just want to watch

Re: My .02 after going to our first midnights this yea 1 year, 11 months ago #1053

HE IS ONLY ASKING. SO HE CAN PAIR YOU WITH SOMETHING THAT MAY BE CLOSE TO WHAT YOU RUN. I WOULDNT WANNA RUN A 16.00 CAR AGAINST MY 9.50 CAR. AND THE CROUD DONT WANNA SEE A 9.50 CAR RACING A 16.00 EITHER.AS A RULE OF THUMB.IF A GUY SAYS IT WILL RUN A 10.00 IT REALLY RUNS A 11.00 L.O.L.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robin phelps, Randall Mink

Re: My .02 after going to our first midnights this yea 1 year, 11 months ago #1055

Then they shouldn't call it grudge racing because that's not what it is if everyone knows what you run. And it's not really grudge racing if you're not racing for money every pass either.

Re: My .02 after going to our first midnights this yea 1 year, 11 months ago #1056

johndickjr wrote:
the midnight as the was in past will never be that away again no matter what..period..the can line up on the fence, no clocks..pair everyone up etc..the days of truly run what you bring is over...now its run what you brung only after you pay 20.00(which is cheap) and pass NHRA tech, which means a helmet for a 13 sec car..etc..you hear its for the street crowd, i seen where the staging line guy is asking people what they run so he can pair you up with some one..wtf ever..im not telling anyone what i run ..thats why no lights are on..DUH ..its kinda similar to whats killing our country..to many regulations..but i still like to go, i like to laugh at the grandma cars and Honda staging with the rear tires..etc..still pretty good entertainment for 20.00 ..less if you just want to watch

It is kind of funny to watch the guys line up, but he never gets his car staged. And the starting line official is looking at him like "any day now" . That's ok though, every one has to learn.

Not sure about now, but I went to a midnights late last year and quite a few were running sub-13's without helmets. Is this a new thing?

To me, grudge racing doesn't have to involve money, but it makes it more exciting for the crowd. And if there was ever big money on the line it could generate a lot of buzz. Some of the vids I see from the up north gang have people running for 4-5 figures. Of course they run really fast cars too.

Re: My .02 after going to our first midnights this yea 1 year, 11 months ago #1059

that is funny .. looking at videos on youtube. on gruuuudge racing.. now take a close look at the crowd.. i see alot of illegal looking people there. if it is very fast.. lots of money to throw around. and no job. you can bet its drug money buying and racing them cars. just saying. you cant compare up north to down here grudge racing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds